Monday, September 1, 2008

Another Year: Week One


For me, the last days of summer fly by in a matter of seconds. I have never looked forward to the first day of school; it means that, once again, you must apply yourself, work hard, and do something other than sleep all day. So, it was strange when I found myself wanting school to start. Last year was amazing; it was unlike any other year of school, and I loved it.

    It seems that the first week back is always the most difficult. Getting acclimated to school again can be so demanding. Over the summer, I imagined that the first week would be over the top with the quantity of work given. In reality, it wasn’t that bad. Sure we got a good deal of work, but it was all controllable. Last year’s time management prepared us well for this year.

   The biggest thing I noticed about this past week was the concept of group work.  This year, working together will be so predominant in our studio. I think the card idea to determine our seating arrangement was a great one. The groups that we were assigned are so diverse in knowledge and skills. Though it proved to be a challenge to work with 15 people, we all came up with remarkable ideas; there was a good deal of effort.

  Towards the end of the week, we combined all of the suits to make a 60 person deck. Communication was difficult and tension was high, but we all managed to create a fluid idea. I’d say it was a good way to break through the ice of a new year and we are all excited to see where it takes us. 

No comments: